Sunday 24 March 2013

Offerings...

'Feel the Breath' - 12" x 12" (sold).

I feel so overwhelmed with gratitude this week, as I find myself tuning in and recognising all the good that surrounds me. Since my last post, I've really been trying to turn my thoughts into actions and open myself up to all the universe has to offer me, as an artist. It has been interesting, to say the least, as my perspective has been opened up and I've gained some much needed clarity about what I am doing. 

A few days ago I had a little bit of an 'ah-ha!' moment, where I was able to really release some of my own emotional obstacles that limit and hinder me creatively. I was looking at all these beautiful photos of different artists work, and previously this would tend to make me question what on earth I am trying to do (you know, when obviously there are enough amazing, wonderful, talented artists out there - what am I trying to achieve?). This time was different though - I was able to see that it is all connected, and there is enough space for me in this creative world too (and for you too, by the way). I think this realisation is completely linked to all the conversations I've had recently about the notion that we are all one (or 'not two').

For example, the focus in yoga this month has been about illness and disease and the interconnectedness we all share with one another, with the environment around us....with everything. In paying attention to how our thoughts and actions impact not only ourselves (our health, state of mind...) but everything surrounding us, brings so much into focus. I love how so often something said in a yoga class, or in conversation with somebody, can be so relevant to where I am at in my painting process. 

It is this interconnectedness that has shifted my perspective, I think. People often ask questions like, 'what motivates you to paint?' or 'what do you paint for?'. I'm starting to understand that painting, for me, is more than just something I do for myself or more than "expressing myself" - although it is that too - but it goes deeper than that. I think everything anyone does from the heart, with all their soul, is an offering, and that's how I'm beginning to see my work as an artist. It is an offering, and a response, to the universe, to everyone and everything we are connected to, including 'myself'. And I hope that by doing my work, that I might inspire someone else to do theirs along the way, in whatever form that is. 

The painting above, 'feel the breath', played a big part in this clarity. Such a reminder to work through frustrations with gratitude and grace, by feeling the breath and allowing myself to move forward with ease. Sometimes that simply means to slow down and be present enough to see the smaller things, in order to take another step forward. 

So steps forward...Tomorrow I move into my first shared studio space over at Scratch Art Space. I'm so excited about this amazing opportunity - who knows what will unfold next? I am so grateful for the fact that I have this chance to push myself further out of my comfort zone - it's terrifying, but mostly exciting at the same time, and that is the best place to be to keep growing, right?

(I'll post some photos of my new studio soon - maybe even tomorrow if I get a chance!)


A section from the painting 'Morning Dew' - 24" x 24"
every morning brings new promises.

Peace - Love - Joy - Gratitude 
xxx



No comments: