Monday 11 November 2013

Be still...and then let go of hesitation

For the last few weeks I've been getting to Monday and feeling a little...something. I'm not sure of the word to use - flat, but not unhappy. Quiet. And each week I've tried to push myself to open up and be energised, ready to dive into whatever it is I've planned to do...

Today the message that kept coming back to me was: to allow myself to be STILL. What is wrong with allowing quiet? stillness? Nothing at all, right?

Ahh. So I cleared my desk, took out my art journal and let myself just play. I've been working away slowly at Jane Davenport's e-course 'Draw Happy' and am having a lot of fun playing around with whimsical faces and people...practicing letting go of perfectionism once more and remembering that it's an art journal, it doesn't have to be 'perfect' anyway. This was the message that came out onto the page as I experimented.......


'She let herself be still...and then let go of hesitation'...




"...Trust that still, small voice that says, 'This might work and I'll try it'..."
- Diane Mariechild

Hm. And with 'no hesitation' in mind I decided to do something a little [perhaps] crazy. I've been looking at this older painting of mine everyday for awhile and I keep wondering what it would look like "if I juuuust added this or changed that". Since it's just been on my wall, I took it down and started adding to it. GAH! It felt so GOOD to be doing something that took me to back to the edge of 'comfortable'... there was every possibility that it could "end up looking terrible, but at the same time, maybe it could look even better? I recently discovered how awesome WHITE INK is too, and so that made it's way onto the canvas in big drips and lines pretty quickly... anyway. However it turns out, it can always go back on my wall as a reminder to always push myself a little further than seems comfortable... to follow my intuition no matter how silly or crazy it may seem, to paint with no hesitation! 

What do you hesitate to do? ....Now go and do it!


"I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the centre"
- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.


And...Go! 


*Peace, Love, Joy & Gratitude*
xxx






3 comments:

Rachél - Creativity Tribe said...

Thanks for sharing your process. I love intuitive painting. It is so freeing. Looking forward to more sharing in the Creativity Tribe space.

eaart said...

Love your work,very bright and happy colors just how I like it. keep in touch!

Mem said...

Thank you Rachel and Eileen! It was so lovely to receive your messages. I'm looking forward to more sharing and connecting in the Creative Tribe too. Eileen, it is lovely to meet you here - I hope you will stay in touch too :)